How to make chair cushions with piping and zip? Step by Step Guide
If you’re like me, then you probably have a few dining chairs that could use some new cushions. And if you’re also like me, then you don’t want to spend a lot of money on them. Today I’m going to show you how to make chair cushions with piping and zip closure. Best of all, this project only takes a few hours to complete! So let’s get started.
We have separate article on how to clean dining chair cushions, if you are interested in it. Give it a read!
Materials We Need:
The material we need for how to sew a cushion with piping and zip are:
- 1/2 yard of fabric (I used a cotton canvas)
- 1/2 yard of batting (I used Quilter’s Dream Cotton Select Batting)
- 1/4 inch piping cord for cushions
- 3/4 inch ribbon or bias tape (optional)
- Coordinating thread
- A zipper that is at least 18 inches long
If you are interested to know how much fabric you need to cover a dining chair, we have an article on this as well.
Tools We Need:
The tools we need to make chair cushions with piping and zip are:
- A sewing machine and accessories
- Fabric scissors
- A straight pin
- A hand sewing needle and thread (optional)
Step 1: Measure and Cut The Foam:
The first step is to measure and cut the foam. I like to use two pieces of foam for my chair cushions, but you can use one piece if you prefer. For this project, I am using two pieces of 18″ x 16″ x 2″ high density foam.
Step 2: Measure and Cut The Fabric:
Next, we need to measure and cut the fabric. I am using a cotton canvas for my fabric, but you can use any type of fabric that you like. For this project, I am cutting two pieces of 18″ x 16″ fabric.
Step 3: Sew The Piping Cord To The Edge Of The Fabric:
Now we need to sew the piping cord to the edge of the fabric. To do sewing the piping cord, we need to first cut a length of piping cord that is long enough to go around the entire perimeter of the fabric piece. For this project, I am using a 3/4″ wide ribbon as my piping cord.
Next, we need to pin the piping cord to the edge of the fabric, making sure that the raw edges of the fabric and piping cord are aligned.
Then, we need to sew the piping cord to the fabric using a zipper foot or a narrow hem foot. I like to use a decorative stitch for this step, but you can use any type of stitch that you like. These are simple steps to answer the question how to sew piping.
Step 4: Sew The Zipper To The Edge Of The Fabric:
Now we need to sew the zipper to the edge of the fabric. To do this, we need to first pin the zipper to the edge of the fabric, making sure that the raw edges of the fabric and zipper are aligned.
Then, we need to sew the zipper to the fabric using a zipper foot or a narrow hem foot. I like to use a decorative stitch for this step, but you can use any type of stitch that you like.
Step 5: Sew The Two Fabric Pieces Together:
Now we need to sew the two fabric pieces together. To do this, we need to first pin the two pieces of fabric together with the right sides facing each other. Then, we need to sew around the entire perimeter of the fabric using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
Step 6: Trim The Fabric And Zipper Seams:
Now we need to trim the fabric and zipper seams. I like to use pinking shears for this step, but you can use regular scissors if you prefer.
Step 7: Turn The Cushion Cover Right Side Out:
Now we need to turn the cushion cover right side out. To do this, we need to first insert our hand into the opening of the zipper. Then, we need to grab hold of the fabric and slowly pull it through the opening until the entire cushion cover is turned right side out.
Step 8: Insert The Foam Pieces Into The Cushion Cover:
Now we need to insert the foam pieces into the cushion cover. To do this, we need to first open the zipper halfway. Then, we need to insert one of the foam pieces into the cushion cover and push it down into the bottom corner. Repeat this step with the other foam piece.
Step 9: Close The Zipper:
Now we need to close the zipper. Once the zipper is closed, your chair cushion is complete!
Step 10 (Optional): Sew A Ribbon Or Bias Tape To The Edge Of The Fabric:
If you want to add a little bit of decoration to your chair cushion, you can sew a ribbon or bias tape to the edge of the fabric. I like to use a contrasting colour for this step, but you can use any colour that you like.
That’s it! These are some simple steps on how to make a chair cushion. Your chair cushion is now complete.
If you are interested to make chair pads read this out.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you are using a patterned fabric, make sure that the pattern is centred before you sew the zipper to the edge of the fabric.
- When inserting the foam into the cushion cover, make sure that the foam is pushed all the way down into the corners. Otherwise, your cushion will have a rounded look.
- If you want to add a little bit of extra padding to your cushion, you can insert a piece of batting before inserting the foam.
- If you are using a light-colored fabric, you may want to use a lining to prevent the fabric from fading over time.
FAQs: How to make chair cushions with piping and zip?
These are simple steps to make a box cushion with piping and zippe:
- Start by cutting two pieces of fabric and one piece of piping cord to the desired size.
- Next, lay the fabric pieces down with the wrong sides facing each other.
- Then, lay the piping cord on top of the fabric, aligning the raw edges.
- Pin the fabric and cord together and sew using a piping foot or a zigzag stitch.
- Once the fabric is sewn together, trim the excess fabric and cord from the seams.
- Finally, turn the cushion cover right side out and insert the foam pieces.
- Close the zipper and enjoy!
To sew an invisible zipper in a pillow, first you will need to gather your supplies. You will need a pillow, an invisible zipper, and a sewing machine. Then, follow these steps:
- Start by pinning the invisible zipper in place along one edge of the pillow.
- Sew the zipper in place using a zigzag stitch or an Invisible Zipper Foot.
- Trim the excess fabric from the edges of the zipper.
- Turn the pillow right side out and admire your handiwork!
Piping cord is typically sold in sizes ranging from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. For most cushions, a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch cord will work well. If you are looking for a more decorative look, you can use a larger size cord. If you are looking for a more subtle look, you can use a smaller size cord.
Sewing a chair cushion is a relatively easy project that anyone can do. With a little bit of time and effort, you can create a unique and stylish cushion that will add comfort and personality to any room in your home. Thanks for reading. Visit our site ChairGoods for more such articles. Sew happy!